Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How I started writing Ruby Slippers

Once upon a time, way back in the summer of 2004, my husband encouraged me to write out my thoughts on the woman’s soul. I didn’t think it would amount to more than a fun project that might inspire speaking topics. I didn't think it would get published.

Once someone asked me, "How did you have the courage to write?" I think the best thing going for me, at least at the beginning, was a certainty that I was doing this for me, not for the audience in the world, but for an audience of the Trinity and the Heavenly Host. And they are, by and large, much more forgiving than most people.


4 comments:

Karl said...

Jonalyn, it was a vicarious thrill reading your blog. Every sentence resonated with me because I too experience that constant longing to get my thoughts and ideas out, even if only for my own enrichment. I long for the day when I can write for my own pleasure about matters of my own heart and not always what is on the mind and heart of another. I rejoice in this incredible venue that has opened up for you, knowing that it will be encouraging not only to your soul but hopefully to the souls of all those who read your upcoming book.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

Karl, thank you. You get it, the process, the joy, the encouragement it's been to me. Speaking of writing, have you read Anne Lamont's Bird by Bird?

Karl said...

I guess I'll have to reveal my ignorance. Who is Anne Lamont?

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

She's an incredible, irreverent, writer who swears shamelessly and has inspired me to write when I least feel like it.