Monday, April 9, 2007

Thoughts on finishing Ruby Slippers

Photo taken by our photographer extraordinaire, Jeff Lefever (www.lefever.com)

I feel like Jacob, limping out of my old views, but renamed by the Living God who knows women better than I.

I know more fully what it means when God thought Man and the world needed Woman.

I understand why God chose Mary as the first person to bear the weight of his Son’s entrance onto earth, why women were last at the cross and first at the barren tomb. (This picture is from my Mary Magdalene monologue--see previous posting--performed in Laguna Beach, Easter, 2007)

I realize why Christ dignified women more than I dignify myself.

I have noticed and am beginning to accept (though not without resistance) that God identifies with women, that God holds all the good feminine traits (and good masculine ones, too) in his being. For the Triune God made male AND female to bear marks of God.

This last few weeks have been so rewarding: hearing friends share that Ruby Slippers is hitting bookshelves around the country, hearing how these ideas impact men and women, sharing the journey.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Jonalyn,
I happened to be in the Fuller bookstore with my roommate today, and there was your book on display! I promptly bought it, and haven't been able to put it down. It's so wonderful, I've already underlined and journaled. I'll write again when I finish reading it. Congratulations, and thank you for putting into words what so many women have needed to hear.
Kristin Wolven