Saturday, June 9, 2007

Ruby Slippers at my door


Dale and I just moved. We took the plunge. We packed our boxes (well actually a wonderful moving company did) and drove 16 1/2 hours to Steamboat Springs, Colorado, three dogs and one very noisy cat in tow.

And now we're settling. In the dust and dirt, boxes and stuffing paper, tape and peanuts (I hate styrofoam peanuts, hate, hate, hate them) of unpacking, I found one welcome package on my front door.

Inside were my own pair of ruby slippers, all sequined up and glimmering in the sun. The note read, "Welcome Home." It was signed from the team at Zondervan.

Even though Steamboat is so far from so many I love, even though I can't seem to find my address book or any of my pots and pans, it is good, very good to be home.

8 comments:

Dale Fincher said...

Nice shoes! Let's go out on the town!

Lacy Lucia seems to be relaxing into our new home too... she's chillin' under the desk! ;)

grace said...

i'm oh so jealous that you now live in steam boat! such a glorious place.

Paul said...

What a thoughtful thing for the Zondervan people to do! I've heard of publishing companies that don't really give a rip about the authors, but after hearing the experience you and Dale have had, Zondervan doesn't seem to be one of them.

Jess said...

ruby slippers! how fitting for you, no?

i've never been to steamboat springs. i am going to google map it right now...

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have thought of that! That's really nice. Maybe I could find someone to make you a pretty sequin vest with three sequin dogs on the back!! Or on a denim moo-moo!

Anonymous said...

Oh. That's ^ Tyler N.

grace said...

i call memphis home. we actually met on myspace and talked a good bit about your book, i'm savannah grace meadows. i'm enjoyed reading oyur blog and seeing glimpses of your writings.

Rxy25 said...

Those shoes are awesome!