Sunday, October 14, 2007

Apologetics in the Wall Street Journal

This last week was full of surprises. I was called by the Wall Street Journal for a short interview on the recent trend in apologetics. Even more surprisingly, I was quoted in the article. Check it out here. I was impressed by the article's impartiality. It shows how Christians like Dr. John Lennox can hold their own against atheists like Richard Dawkins in rhetoric, argument and cogency.

A month ago my publisher alerted me that I just might be interviewed by a journalist from the Wall Street Journal. My mind darted to the scenarios. Would they want to know about my book? Would I be able to share about Soulation? Would the journalist be antagonist about Christianity?

I wondered about it for several weeks, but when nothing materialized, let it go. Then I got the call, yes they wanted a short interview. We coordinated a time. The day came and, thinking the agreed on time was Mountain time, I hopped into the shower. No sooner was I completely wet that my husband came running in with the phone, WSJ on the line.

So, sparing you the details, I did the interview slightly damp, robed and in front of a raging fire.

It went really well. I got to share what I would say to someone who disbelieves in God’s existence, how I would answer the problem of pain, why immaterial things exist (which I was gratified to find was the same argument Lennox used in debate, see article). I shared how other apologists (Josh McDowell, Francis Schaeffer, C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias) were key in spurring Christians towards engaging with ideas, I could hear her typing in the background.

At the end of the interview she shared how she went to a Dawkins/Lennox debate in Alabama over God’s existence and has since been wanting to write about this intellectual interest in Christian circles. May God use this piece to show others that you don’t have to throw out your mind to follow Jesus!

I was thrilled to be a part.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go Jonalyn. you never know what your training will help you do next. stay faithful.

Luke

Robin said...

How interesting! Thanks for telling us about it.

Philip said...

That's a great article. I'm glad you had that opportunity to talk the journalist and share your thoughts. You and Dale keep it up! There's a great need right now for what you are doing and I think and pray that you will play a pivotal role in satisfying that need.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

Christianity Today made it a point to highlight this article in a recent blog (http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2007/10/how_richard_daw.html). What's encouraged me substantially is that the WSJ article, the Christianity Today blog and my short quote were all contributions from females. This is so rewarding to me, as I regularly hear how women who are thinkers feel "less female" because of their mind power. One fine day, perhaps soon, women's mental capacity will not be viewed as a potential danger to their femininity.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

The CT blog can be found at:
http://blog.christianitytoday.com/
ctliveblog/archives/2007/10/
how_richard_daw.html

Paula said...

Good article and I appreciated your forthrightness with the interviewer, Joni. You're good "on the spot"!

Paula

Anonymous said...

How would you (succinctly) respond to the problem of pain?
Impressive, that they called you. . . congratulations.

-Steph

Ariel said...

Awesome job, sounds like a great interview.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

Steph,
About the problem of pain here's my existential answer:

When we are in pain, we want to know not just the meaning or significance of this horrible event, but if we are alone.

When I look back on my life's painful moments, the only thing that comforted me was not knowing that I was learning so many good lessons, not that God was going to work it all out for the good (I hate the way that verse is over-used and abused), not that God knew what was going on or that God allowed it.... but it was

Jesus gets this. He really understands pain and he's with me in it. He's a better comforter than anyone I know.

Our God is not impenetrable, sitting on his lofty thrown. Our God has scars, he's entered the mess of this world and seen what free agents can do to his body and soul. Our God wears the marks of pain in his body. I can follow him because he gets it. I can trust him because I'm part of the fellowship of suffering. I can take this because I know I am not alone.

One unrelated note, this site quotes from the WSJ article in their review: http://theolobloggy.blogspot.com/2007
/10/god-delusion-40-how-richard-
dawins.html