Wednesday, October 24, 2007

UnChristian


Last Spring, I was asked to contribute for a book that the President of the Barna Group was writing, a research project showing how 16-29 year olds have horribly negative perceptions about what being a Christian is all about. This demographic believe Christainity is about being anti-homosexual, judgmental, hypocritical, too involved in politics, clueless and boring. This book, "UnChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity...and Why it Matters" has just been released.

I was asked to respond to 2 questions:
1- What experience have you had with being judgmental and healing from it? Thanks to Amazon reader you can check out my response here.
and
2- What should Christians be known for in 30 years? How would you envision the way Christians should and could change their image? You can read my response here.

You can read a positive review at Ariel Vanderhoorst blog (Oct 14). I'd recommend you take a moment and peruse the Amazon reviews, too. It's exciting to see a project like this getting some press!

5 comments:

Philip said...

Looks like a good book! I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I think I need to get this book soon.

Dana said...

Bravo Jonalyn. I was moved by both of your pieces. The process of planning a wedding has forced me to examine some of my deepest insecurities: my need for affirmation, acceptance and support. I love the message of hope for women that seasons all of your writings; that we as women are created in God's image and are not subject to society's demands that we be skinny, rich, gorgeous, and perfect at everything we attempt. It is my prayer that the mighty God of Heaven and His all powerful Son would enlarge my soul and continue to enrich my life with messages of truth that I can share with my hungry generation. Good work. I can't wait to read more. Much love.

Lauren said...

I'm just reading unChristian now. I read "The State of My Soul" and what you wrote spoke to me. In fact it prompted me to see if you had a blog:)

Condemning myself into obedience, not extending grace because my reserve was so low. Yep, I've been there and I go back there some days BUT God is so faithful and He really does want me to live the abundant life. It's a journey alright.

Looking forward to exploring your blog a bit.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

Lauren,
Glad you took the time to look me up. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in shaming myself, I feel we can help one another in the journey (yes it is!) toward love instead of shame motivation.

One book that's helped me a lot in this is called "Healing Spiritual Addiction and Religious Abuse" by Linn. Have you come across it?

And you might enjoy seeing more of what me and my husband do at www.soulation.org

Hope you drop in again!

Lauren said...

Hhhmmm....nope. Haven't heard of it although I will check it out. Love a good book:) One that I would recommend HIGHLY is Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero. Off to check out your other site!