Friday, December 14, 2007

A New Book Project

Susy Flory finished up her interview with me covering two questions. I wanted to share the last question with you. You can read the entire interview at Susy's Blog.

What’s next for you Jonalyn? Is there another book in the works, I hope?

A. I’m glad you want to read more. That’s so encouraging!

I want to write about how prejudice is overcome in friendship. I’ve been around too many women who are threatened by me and who shut the doors of legitimacy or support in my face because I’m too young, too thin, too articulate, too inexperienced, too whatever. I don’t fit theLored_shoes810680 kind of woman they want to meet and support. That’s a problem in them, but it’s also a problem in me. I have that same sort of tendency to pre-judge those who are different, the disabled woman, the single woman, the pastor’s wives, the perfect homemakers, the models, the old women, the young teeny-boppers, the missionaries, the house-keepers. It’s time for me to grow into seeing how God values all of us, in our differences.

So the next book project is about meeting these women we love to hate, getting to know why we hate them and how we can move into respect and love. The working title is Walking in Her Shoes. I’m excited to walk with God into this new territory.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

What I'm wondering is, if women have told you that they don't connect with you or support you for those reasons?

I feel like although there is some cattiness out there much of it can be overcome very quickly by entering into relationship. For example I may notice that a women is thinner and prettier then me but when I take a moment to connect with her, that doesn't matter anymore unless she chooses to let it be an obsticle. The reality is that most women and people in general want to be known for who they are inside not what they look like or have on the outside.

I believe that everything comes down to how we percieve ourselves and how we choose to relate to others and that it's not about how others relate to us. Meaning that we can choose to let others come into our lives and be open or we can be aware of how others may or may not percieve us and feel hurt or judged by something that someone may or may not think about us.

I'm sure that a book about this topic would be very interesting!

Angela said...

Great topic. When I encounter people that we love to hate, I step back and think of us all as parts of a whole, that if we took all of their exceptional qualities and combined them with my exceptional qualities, we'd be one great person. I think the same applies to wide-scale humanity, we are meant complement each other. I haven't decided if that makes me an incomplete person though, still trying to fully resolve that one, but I think that perhaps a wholly developed person functions equally well alone or in a relationship such as marriage or family as they do when they are part of a larger community, the trick is learning when to make that mental shift.

Jonalyn Grace Fincher said...

Gretchen- yes relationship, love, friendship is one of the best cures for prejudice. I hope to write about that.

Angela- you know I agree with you that it's important to be healthy as an individual and bring that into relationships. I have a question for you, What do you mean we're all part of one great whole? Do you mean we're all human so united cause we're human? or something bigger?