Friday, January 4, 2008

A Theology of Female Embodiment- One Month of Pregnancy-(in five installments) One of Five

It’s been over a month since I discovered I was pregnant. The test I took made a big plus sign, a large positive mark on my life. On that day, November 26th, 2007, I wrote these words

“I am pregnant. I can’t believe it, and yet I see God’s hand in this. An incredible welcome surprise, an answer to our wonderings, ‘Should we have children? Could we have children and continue to work and speak and write? Will we be able to have children?’

And now this, this chance to parent together.

I just walked from the kitchen to the office to grab my laptop and thought, “I am two people right now… there are two people when I walk.” And I started crying.

I’m crying and I don’t know what to say. I’m just so excited. What is Dale going to say?

I still cannot believe it. I feel all jittery and a bit afraid, now. I feel lightheaded. My stomach feels like butterflies have moved in. I feel completely jumpy, like even typing takes so much focus. AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! How should I tell Dale?”

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Jonalyn, I am so excited for you!! When I read that you were pregnant, I grabbed Dottie and told her that I think it's great, and that you and Dale will make wonderful parents!