Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cutting Hair


In Ruby Slippers I tell the story of cutting my hair as an act of defiance, sort of like when Anne of Green Gables dyes her hair "black" (it ends up green) announcing her hatred for her hair.

Well, it's been several years since I've sheared my hair off, but today....

I cut my hair again, only this time with a delight in my hair, coupled with a longing to do something different. Being autumn, it seemed a good time to lose a few locks, like the trees are losing their leaves.

I love the new stage of life I'm in (I just turned 29) and I wanted my hair to go with it.

So I've decided to post the before and after pics, to share that I love the way, as my hair stylist, Emily says, hair can be a fluid art form, and I love feeling light and free and completely me.

I enjoyed watching Emily re-sculpt my hair. I loved seeing her creativity in the result.

Hope you do something marking this new season of sloughing off the old and looking forward to the new.

Happy Autumn!

14 comments:

dramaturge said...

You have really cool hair. :-)
I love the new cut. Very chic and artsy at the same time.

Myowne said...

I love your hair - it looks so snazzy and jazzy and you. Your stylist did a great job of giving you a new way of seeing your beauty.

Emily Jones said...

It looks great!!!!! Reminds me of when Felicity did the big cut, but yours looks way cuter. =)

Sarah said...

I have always admired your hair in every picture I've seen of you, and the new cut is every bit as adorable! Wow. I just love it. I have always loved short hair - it makes me feel confident. Change is also fun! Thanks so much for sharing.

Amy said...

Jonalyn,
I love it! It's adorable. Quite honestly, it REALLY looks good on you that way. It frames your face really well!

I also agree that hair is a fluid art form.

Blessings,
~Amy :)
http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com

A.T. Stowell said...

I like it...

...and happy belated birthday too. (I know, I know...I am without excuse :)

adam

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome. Very nice. - Tyler

Mod Girl said...

Beautiful! Don't you love how a new haircut just makes you feel shiny and fresh?!

Marti said...

Nice hair, Jonalyn - love your curls, long or less long!

You asked about the Buechner quote. It's from his book "Telling Secrets." Great book - I think you'd enjoy it too. I quoted a longer excerpt here (you'll have to paste the link together, sorry.)

http://tellingsecrets-mks.
blogspot.com/2006/10/
telling-secrets_29.html

Wilson Family said...

Too cute!
Jen =)

Beth Murphy said...

Adorable haircut, Jonalyn!

Mandy Orozco said...

You look beautiful! It's wonderful how well your face is framed in your newly cut locks. Bravo to you and Emily.

leslianne said...

LOVE THE HAIR. LOVE IT.

angela said...

You are beautiful!