Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Article for Kyria

Today's Christian Woman is no more, but before you exclaim in alarm, Christianity Today has a new digital magazine (or digizine) for women.

It's called Kyria, a word that in Greek means "honored woman." It's brand spanking new, which is probably why I got a chance to write an article for the first issue. :)

I originally titled my article"Women and Their Wonderful Bodies" but they've changed it to "What our Bodies Tell us about our Identities" which makes sense give the 1st issue is all about BORN IDENTITY.

I wrote about the chance women have to wonder why their bodies are wonderfully made. You'll find a poem by George Herbert nestled in the article, too.

To read it, and see the nifty graphic design of this new digizine visit Kyria THIS month.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the magazine and the case for women's bodies being wonderful little numbers.

3 comments:

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Jonalyn,
Just a quick comment on your comparison between the Buddha and Jesus, which I have just stumbled on. For the Buddha’s comments on marriage and conjugal love (as opposed to the legends about his renunciation) see ‘Marriage’ at www.buddhismatoz.com. As for Jesus’ teaching on such subjects I was able to find these ones which you must have somehow overlooked. Jesus denied his own family (Jn.2:4; Mk.3:31-3) never married himself, and promised his disciples a hundred-fold reward if they renounced their homes and families (Matt.19: 29). He said one should hate one’s own family. “If anyone comes to me and does not you hate his mother and father, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters…” etc (Lk.14:26). “For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother’…etc” (Matt.10:5). Paul added to these teachings by saying that it’s best not to marry but if you can’t control your sexual desire you should do so (I Tim.5,11-14). Hardly a ringing endorsement of marriage. And the result of becoming ‘one flesh’? The agony of childbirth as retribution on women for bringing sin into the world (Gen.3,16).

Jonalyn Fincher said...

Shravasti Dhammika,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. For the sake of clarity, would you be willing to re-post your comments on the original Jesus Outshines Buddha" post? Go here: http://jonalynfincher.blogspot.com/search/label/Buddha

Some of your concerns have already been addresses in the 30+comments. Others I look forward to responding to soon.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated your most recent post from today, and this article is a good, simple reminder. The only problem... my computer can hardly stay on one page at kyria. The magazine pages are too trigger happy for my computer, and it jumps from 16 to 32 and back to the start like crazy. I guess they'll get it figured out.... Congratulations on the pregnancy, Deborah